Silent Oath by Paul Anthony Shortt‏


A child at heart who turned to writing and roleplaying games when there simply weren't enough action figures to play out the stories he wanted, Paul Anthony Shortt has been writing all his life. Growing up surrounded by music, film and theatre gave him a deep love of all forms of storytelling, each teaching him something new he could use. When not playing with the people in his head, he enjoys cooking and regular meet-ups with his gaming group.

Paul lives in Ireland with his wife Jen and their dogs, Pepper and Jasper. Their first child, Conor William Henry Shortt, was born on July 11th, 2011. He passed away three days later, but brought love and joy into their lives and those of their friends. The following year, Jen gave birth to twins, Amy and Erica.

Paul's first novel, Locked Within, was released on November 6th, 2012, by WiDo Publishing. Silent Oath is the second book in this urban fantasy trilogy.

Website
Facebook
Twitter: @PAShortt
Goodreads


Hope has returned to New York City. Nathan Shepherd leads a small band of dedicated fighters against the Council of Chains and the city's supernatural masters. But it's not enough. Because from the shadows of Nathan's former lives comes an old enemy, one who knows terrible secrets that Nathan has not yet remembered, secrets that could undo everything he has fought for.

Nathan's only chance to uncover the memories of his previous existence, and to conquer these new forces of evil, lies in Elena DeSantis. A woman he has fought beside in past lifetimes. A woman he has loved.


Together, Nathan and Elena are the only future the city has.

Q) What inspired you to write this story? 
I always new Locked Withi would have a sequel. Long before I even started writing the first book, I knew it would continue on into a series. Nathan Shepherd, the hero of the trilogy, was originally a character I conceived when I was a teenager, back around the time I decided I wanted to be a writer. His story has evolved over time, and even Silent Oath is different than the book I originally planned. I can't really say there was one specific source of inspiration. More that the story evolved naturally to this as different events occurred in my life.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
The first version took me about four or five months. Though it was perhaps a bit rushed in my efforts to have it ready and submitted in time to make it into the 2013 lineup.

My publisher's submissions editor saw this, and asked me for a re-write, combining it with ideas I had for the third book. In the end, I took my planned 6-book series down to a trilogy, scrapped most of what the second book originally was, and ended up with Silent Oath as it is today. The re-write started in the fall of 2012, and I managed to finish it in just two months, which was exhausting!

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing? 
Coming up with dramatic scenes where my characters are pushed to their limits, whether physically, mentally or emotionally, and getting to work those mental images into words on a page.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing? 
Having to be patient when I come up with one of those dramatic scenes, but haven't gotten to that part of the book yet!

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
Guillermo del Toro, so I could read these little books by a nobody author from Ireland and decide to turn them into a movie series.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it? 
A bottle of cava we were given when we found out my wife was pregnant again, about 5 months ago. We're saving it for when the baby's born.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
Plenty! But I guess you want a more detailed answer than that...

I'm still at the very beginning of my career, and I have a lot I want to do, and big plans starting next year. The most important will be the release of the final book in the Locked Within trilogy. Its working title is Final Hope, and it will see Nathan face his greatest threat in any lifetime, with everything he holds dear at stake.

Beyond that, I'm working on a couple of other projects, including a Young Adult steampunk fantasy series, and possible e-serial ideas. Urban fantasy fans won't have to worry, because I'll aso be working on a new series for adults, about a police unit set up to handle crimes that involve the supernatural.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)